Wednesday, January 2, 2013

In the play of my life.

Every once in a while I hear my internal monologue running and I think, 'Who the heck is that talking?' I've lived a number of mostly fictitious lives; you know like if they wrote a play or a book about me I'd have several distinct acts. It's not until you've lived through something that you can usually look at through the playwright's gaze. I think my internal monologue takes on what I would be like in that play from each of the acts. Not usually an accurate depiction of who I was, but the voice I might use to tell a story about that time in my life?

In case there are interested parties I'm willing to sell the rights to my life story. Here's an outline.  I'd totally be into an edgy musical, but you know whatever you're interested in.

Act I: Middle class family forced to send children to public inner-city schools. White children are the minority. (Gasp)
          Enter Real Life got into magnet programs at public school; had excellent teachers and intelligent peers.

Act II: High School - Struggles to fit in at school literally lined with guns and gangs rule supreme; finds a lifeboat in music.
          Enter Real Life continued in rigorous college prep courses. Was in show choir [read: not Glee]. Friends played Apples to Apples in my basement. Didn't party or go to any sweet underground clubs [read: not Save the Last Dance].

Act III: College - Swept away to a quaint college town in the south. Can't fit in due to cultural differences and backward thinking. Teaches the white privileged kids at school what acceptance is.
          Enter Real Life figured out how to live as a psuedo-independent young person. Made friends and talk about some important stuff. Had fun. Learned some stuff.

Act IV: Teaching - [See Freedom Writers]
          Enter Real Life went too far away to do something that's real hard. For real. Thank a teacher today. Cried like a baby.

Cote de Pablo must play "adult" me in the movie adaptation per my father's request.

No comments:

Post a Comment